Saturday, October 9, 2021

Your First Kiss

 


All of us have significant events that take place in our lives, and they all affect and shape us in different ways.  But no matter what it is, no matter how it shapes us or affects us, the one thing I'm pretty sure we all remember is our first kiss.

Do you remember your first kiss?  I do, almost like it was yesterday.

It was 1969, I was 12 years old, and summer vacation was in full swing.  Back in those days my family was living in Highland Springs, Virginia, and we only had one stereo set in the house.  The stereo was located in my sister's room (my two sisters shared a room for the entire time they lived at home), so whenever I wanted to listen to the stereo I had to ask them if it was okay or wait until they were both out of the house.  Most of the time I just waited until they were both gone because our dad had said that just because the stereo was in their room didn't mean that I couldn't use it.  (This pissed one of my sisters off to no end, but I won't go into that.)  

So I was sitting on the floor in my sister's room, leaning against the bed listening to a Monkees album on the stereo when one of my sisters came home and brought one of her friends with her.  I'm not real sure why, but my sister's friend came into the room and asked if she could listen to the album with me.  I said yes, and then she climbed onto the bed and lay down on her stomach, propping herself up on her elbows with her head about a foot or so away from mine.

Her name was Lenora Bell, and she was a year older than me; she was as cute as hell redhead, and I kinda had a little crush on her.  I've never been the chatty type around the opposite sex, never knowing quite what to say, and that continues to this day.  Lenora took the lead, talking to me about the group and the album, and to this day I'm not quite sure how it happened but the next thing I knew we were talking about boyfriends, girlfriends, and kissing.  She asked me if I had a girlfriend, and I told her no, that I'd never had a girlfriend.  Then she asked me if I'd ever kissed a girl, and I sheepishly told her no, I had not.

Then she absolutely floored me when she said, "Would you like for me kiss you?"

All I could do was nod, I was that astounded.  She said, "Then come over here!" and motioned me over to a spot in front of her.  I scooted over and sat back on my haunches in front of her, and with a smile on her face she reached out and put her hand on the back of my head.  She pulled my head towards hers and I instinctively closed my eyes as our faces got close.

Then our lips touched, and it was the most electric moment of my young life.  Her lips were soft and warm, and to this day I think this was the best kiss I've ever had in my entire life.  Maybe it was because it was my first kiss, I don't know, but in any event it literally took my breath away.  I guess the kiss lasted four, maybe five seconds, and when it was over my heart was pounding in my chest like a jackhammer.  I sat back on my haunches again and just looked at her; she was smiling and giggled just a bit at my reaction.  Then she got up from the bed and was gone, going into the living room where my sister was doing whatever, I don't know.  I just sat there, trying to process what had just happened.

And that was it.  Lenora and I never kissed again, nor did we ever talk about it.  To be honest I don't recall ever having another conversation with her about anything, much less that kiss.  I would see her in the halls at Highland Springs High School when I entered the 9th grade a few years later, but that was it.

To this day "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones Ltd" is my favorite Monkees album, because that's the one that was playing when I had my first kiss.  And I'm pretty sure that Lenora is the reason I have always had an affinity for redheads.

So Lenora, if you're out there and you happen to read this, thank you.

Deo Vindice

IHC



No comments: