Thursday, May 19, 2011

Somebody's Gonna Look Awful Foolish in Two Days

If you've had even a passing interest in the news over the past few weeks and months, you know that there's a group of folks out there who are claiming that the end of the world will take place on May 21, 2011, just two days from now. I'm sure you've seen either the billboards or pictures of the billboards, the ones that proclaim in great, big letters that the end of the world will take place on that date, and that "THE BIBLE GUARANTEES IT!" or "THE BIBLE COMMANDS IT!"

Yeah, well, I'm not so sure about that.

Anyone who has been reading my blog over the past few years knows my feelings on the Bible and those who follow it to the extreme, and this is a prime example. For those of you who haven't been reading my blog that long, let me spare you the time and trouble of researching through the old entries to see what I'm talking about. In a nutshell: I don't believe most of the Old Testament. Sorry, I just don't see how it's possible for one man to gather two of every species of living creature on the planet, put them all in one boat, and survive at sea for as long as he did. I also have a problem with the part about woman being created from man's rib - I mean, if man was created out of sand or whatever, then why did He need a rib to create woman? Why not just do it again? These are just two of the reasons why I have a VERY hard time believing the Old Testament.

But I have no trouble believing the New Testament, up to the whole Revelations thing, that is. That's the part I have trouble with, and honestly, my problems with that part is not what it says, but how people have interpreted and intentionally misinterpreted it to mean whatever they want it to mean.

Like saying the world will come to an end on May 21, 2011 that is.

I got curious about how they came up with that date, so I spent about an hour doing some research on this a few nights ago. Ya know what I came up with? There is not one specific thing in the Bible that specifically names the date of the end of the world; rather, there are several verses that people have interpreted - or misinterpreted - as saying the world will end on May 21.

There's that whole "interpretation" thing again.

For those who may not know it, I've also long said and believed that the Bible is one of the two most misinterpreted and intentionally misinterpreted documents ever to be printed, the other one being the United States Constitution. Both of these documents have been interpreted in so mnay different ways, with each interpretation saying different things, that as it is now in some instances it's hard to fathom just what they say.

So exactly where these folks are coming up with the exact date of the end of the world is beyond me. I know they believe it, although why is a mystery to me, but I just can't bring myself to buy into it. I don't think badly of those who believe it; actually, I feel kinda sorry for them because in two days they're gonna be awfully disappointed.

On the other hand, I may be the one in for a surprise. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh?

All I know is that in two days, somebody's gonna look awful foolish.

IHC

No comments: