Thursday, November 12, 2009

Paying the Price of "Political Correctness"

Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely abhor the phrase, "politically correct," and pride myself on NOT being that way. I'm a "call 'em as I see 'em" kinda guy; always have been, always will be. And yes, I pride myself on NOT being one of the millions of lemmings out there who won't do this or won't say that because "it's not POLITICALLY CORRECT" or may hurt someone's sensitive feelings. I have the right to voice my opinions, and I do; when I do, I try not to be insulting or rude, and I'll say right up front that I'm not always successful in that effort. Sometimes the topic and my feelings on the topic just don't make that possible.

Hang onto your ass, friends and neighbors, because today's topic is one of those kinds. I'm gonna piss some people off with what I'm going to say, and to be honest about it I really don't care.

So here goes.

I don't know exactly who is responsible for it and I don't know exactly how it got started, but the end result of the "politically correct" movement that has overtaken our American society like so much unwanted kudzu has resulted in two things.

The first of these is a society that is so afraid of the repercussions both personally and professionally for voicing their opinions and concerns that they would rather keep quiet rather than raise their concerns and/or sound an alarm. For the most part, the United States is now a population of sheep, doing nothing except what they are told, and not doing things they know they really should be doing because they know they're right but won't do because they've had it pounded into their heads by the liberal media that it's not "politically correct" and may hurt someone's feelings. And we just can't have that, now can we?

The second is twelve dead American soldiers and one dead American civilian, murdered in cold blood on a stateside US Army post, murdered by a devout follower of the so-called "religion of peace," Islam. Murdered here at home, not in a war zone across the ocean on the other side of the world. Murdered where they live, where they thought they were safe.

In my mind and in my way of thinking, both of these things are reprehensible, repulsive, and downright disgusting. And in this tragic case, both of them are inexorably and undeniably linked.

Here you have an officer in the United States Army who is a Muslim, who voices "anti-American sentiments" to students in a training class where he was in training, who is noted by his supervisors as being "emotionally torn" between his Islamic beliefs and his service to the United States and the Army, who is known to have worshipped at the same mosque and listened to the preachings of the same radical imam as three of the 9/11 hijackers - and nobody says a damned thing! Instead, it all comes to light when this Muslim murderer jumps up on a table in a processing center filled with soldiers, shouts "Allah Akbar!" ("God is great"), pulls out two pistols and starts shooting the unarmed soldiers surrounding him. When the smoke clears and the investigating begins, NOW it comes to light that people knew this guy was looney tunes and would most likely do something like this.

So why the hell didn't anybody say anything before now?

Simple. They were afraid to. They didn't want to have the finger of "Political Incorrectness" pointed at them, especially if they were an officer in the United States Army. See, it's like this: in the officer corps of all of the Armed Forces, if you have an accusation thrown at you that's serious in nature, even if you're later cleared of the accusation it's always gonna be there - and the people who will sit on the selection boards for your next promotion are gonna know about it, and they're NOT gonna promote you - because THEY don't want that same finger pointed at THEM for promoting you, a "suspected" politically incorrect person who did something awful and terrible...never mind that you were cleared. Because if they promote you, then THEY are just as GUILTY of what YOU didn't do as you are. And that's the end of THEIR career.

Think I'm wrong? Ask any retired military officer who no longer has a career to worry about. THEN tell me I'm wrong.

So several people in positions of power had their suspicions about this Muslim officer in the United States Army and what he might do, and no one says a damned thing.

And 13 people are dead because of it.

That's one hell of a price to pay for being "politically correct."

It's time we woke up and stopped being a nation of friggin' sheep. This "politically correct" bullshit that has been gripping our nation for the past 15 years or so needs to be kicked to the curb, and RIGHT NOW.

The facts are simple: you can't always make everyone happy, and every now and then people are gonna get their feelings hurt because, like it or not, sometimes the truth hurts. So you deal with it and get on with your life! You don't file a lawsuit, or go on "Oprah" and weep your tale of woe, or anything like that crap. And if you're accused of doing something wrong, if you did it then stand up like an adult and take your medicine; don't jump on the "race wagon" and say you're only being accused because you're black, or hispanic, or asian, or a redhead, or any other damned thing. And that also doesn't make your accuser a racist, either. In many cases it makes him RIGHT.

And like I said, the truth hurts.

In the end run, I have a feeling that the US Army is gonna take a high, hard one right up the old poop chute on this one, and deservedly so. Too many people saw the danger in this guy and ignored it for nothing to be done. And the fact that this involves a Muslim should NOT be a factor in what is done and how and to what severity; regardless of the religion, the fact is that this guy MURDERED thirteen innocent people because of his religious beliefs. For that, he needs to be held accountable and the people who knew he was a ticking time bomb and did or said nothing need to be held accountable as well. Those people who sat on their hands and did nothing because they were afraid to endanger their careers are now going to sit back and watch said careers go up in flames, because they sat on their hands and did nothing. And deservedly so.

As for the Muslim murderer, I hope the major makes a full and complete recovery, I really do. I hope for nothing less than his return to complete health...

...so he can be tried in a General Courts-Martial for thirteen counts of murder in the first degree, found guilty, transported to the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and then hung by his neck until he's dead.

And deservedly so.

IHC

4 comments:

Mississippi Cajun said...

I've been scratching my head all of this time trying to figure out how this guy with bad OER's and a worse reputation among his peers and superiors, suspicions about his activities, and complaints out the butt about him could get past a promotion board to make O-4...or for that matter, how the hell did he make it to his Butterbar? Hell, I wish I could have had that board evaling me; I'd have made General for sure.

IHC said...

He made it for all the reasons I stated - the people sitting on the boards were afraid to finger him out of fear of losing their own careers. And in the officer ranks of all services, the grade of major is the first for which you have to be selected; promotion to first lieutenant and then captain are automatic after serving the required time in previous grade.

Mississippi CAjun said...

Having been there and all that, I know what you are saying, but I wonder if the guys who actually signed off on this clown are now in some deep stuff themselves for the political correctness that had to have been involved. Man, I have seen really qualified and deserving guys kissed off for some really minor stuff, and this piece of crap with noth8ing to recommed him gets the leaf? BS!!!! If I had been serving on his board, I damned sure would have had some concerns about what was in his folder, and unless someone really heavy was leaning on me, you can bet my Cajun mouth would have lit off and sent the flames flying.

IHC said...

I have a feeling that some serious heads are gonna roll in the Army when the investigating is all said and done...