Sunday, August 21, 2011

When Does a "Christian" NOT Act Like a Christian?

When you disagree with him/her, that's when.

I have a hard and fast rule that I try really hard to obey, and that rule is NEVER to discuss politics and/or religion with someone I don't know - and even then, I'm cautious about who I discuss these topics with, as both of them can be volatile enough to ruin what was thought to be a good relationship, friendship, or in some cases, marriage. Outside of the members of my immediate family (and even then there's a few I won't discuss religion with), there's only one person that I can discuss both with and not want to pinch their head off and crap down their neck when it's over. And the really surprising thing is that as much as my "brutha from anutha mutha," Bulldog and I are alike, when it comes to politics we are polar opposites. He's a former Democrat and an avid liberal, and I'm a former Republican and avid conservative. We've had many a spirited political discussion over many beers and many bottles of Sailor Jerry, and as intense (not heated, mind you, but intense) as the discussions may have gotten, when it was all over we were still friends. Actually, I think that brought us even closer. And the really amazing thing about it is that not once have we ever insulted each other or even lost our cools; the discussions were intense but respectful, with each of us respecting the opinion of the other and his right to both have it and speak it.

Unfortunately, I can't say that for the rest of the world, especially when it comes to religion. And I had the unhappy instance this past week to have that demonstrated to me once again, and this was without even getting involved in a religious discussion - actually, it was because I refused to get sucked into a religious discussion.

Short version of a long story: on the unofficial Sons of Confederate Veterans page on Facebook, I made a post where I stated that political postings were out of place on that page because the current political aspirings have nothing to do with the mission of the SCV. When asked why not by a member, I said because political discussions invariably and inevitably led to religious discussions, and I refused to participate in either - especially religious discussions.

At that point one of the members of the page decided to start quoting scripture at me in what I can only guess was an effort to prove me wrong or change my mind.

Yeah, like that's gonna work - quote scripture at someone who has already told you he's not gonna participate in a religious discussion.

In any event, I reiterated to Phil that I was not going to get involved in a religious discussion, at which point Phil got really testy. He started slinging insults, which is the normal thing that "christians" do when you don't play their game, and started accusing me of things I didn't say or do. When I called him on that and challenged him to find where in my postings I had said the things he said I did, he used the typical "ignore it and it'll go away" tactic that never works - at least not with me, anyway. So when I continued to challenge him to back up with quotes from my postings what he said I had posted, he got even more testy and finally labeled me as a "troublemaker."

Gee, imagine that...he's the one who started with the accusations and insults, and yet I'm the troublemaker.

I guess what really torqued Phil off was when I pointed out to him that he was being insulting and rude, and asked him if that was the way Christians were supposed to act. He really got his panties in a knot after that, so I guess I struck a nerve. After all, no one likes to be proven wrong and shown to be a total and complete fool in a public forum.

So it seems that even when I try to avoid getting sucked into a religious discussion, I still incur the wraith of the so-called "Christians" who ultimately end up acting in a very un-Christian like manner. Either that, or they climb up on their religious high-horse and talk down to you like you're some lower form of uneducated life barely worthy of their supreme attention. Either way, all they do is prove themselves to be horse's asses, and the really sad thing is that they don't see it.

Now don't get me wrong, friends and neighbors, I have no problem with religion; as the bumper sticker says, "I have no problem with God, it's his fan club I can't stand." I realize that everyone is going to have their own opinions about God, religion, the Bible, the Qu-aran, the Koran, and all of the other holy books out there, and chances are pretty good that they're going to be a hell of a lot different than mine. And that's just fine, really. The problem is, while I respect the opinions of others even though I don't agree with them, I rarely get that same respect in return. What I do get is a "holier-than-thou" attitude or a barrage of scripture-laden insults that make me wonder just what the other person's idea of being a Christian really is. I find it a sad state of affairs that someone who professes to be a Christian cannot find it in their hearts - or be mature enough - to accept the opinions of others and treat them with the same respect that they demand others give their opinions. I've said this all my life, and I'll say it again because I truly believe it: of two differing opinions, neither one is right and neither one is wrong; they're just different.

Not a hard concept to wrap your mind around, is it? But you'd be surprised at just how impossible some of the more "motivated" members of God's fan club find it to do.

I look at it like this: if your beliefs work for you, then go for it. As long as you're happy with them and your beliefs make your life enjoyable, then more power to ya. Just don't inflict your beliefs on me and tell me mine are wrong, because I'm liable to shove 'em back down your throat. I've never suffered fools well, and I ain't gettin' any better at it the older I get.

Besides, when it's all over and we all go meet our maker, somebody is in for one hell of a big disappointment.

IHC

No comments: