Saturday, December 25, 2010

December 25, 1990

The desert night air was clear and cold, belying the myth that it never gets cold in the desert. The stars were shining in the night Arabian sky, clear and bright, and the only other light that could be seen was the glow from the tip of my cigarette. It was 0005 hours (five minutes after midnight) on 25 December 1990, and my Hummer was parked out in The Middle of Nowhere, the 13 miles of lonely road behind me and about two clicks off to the left. It was Christmas Day in Saudi Arabia, the absolutel last place I ever thought I'd be spending this Christmas or any other, for that matter.

I sat on the roof of my Hummer, smoking my cigarette and thinking about Christmas the year before when I was in Korea. I spent that Christmas away from my family as well, being assigned to a base that was considered a "remote" assignment in that you couldn't take your family with you. I was remembering how I was sitting out on the flightline in my truck that year, looking up at the stars and thinking about how much I missed my family and how lucky I was that it had been ten years since I had missed a Christmas with them. And that first Christmas away from my home and family had also been in Korea, this time in 1979, and it was a tough one because it was the first. I didn't think it could get any tougher than that, and ten years later I thought the same thing - the first one was the toughest, and it couldn't get any worse than that.

I was wrong. Sitting on the roof of my Hummer eleven years after my first Christmas away from home and family, with war only weeks away, it was clear to me I was wrong. This Christmas was the toughest yet, and I consoled myself with the thoughts that what I was doing in that foreign land was a good thing and the right thing, and that next year I'd most certainly be home with my family.

At least I hoped so.

To all of my family, friends, and fans I wish you a most merry and joyful Christmas, and ask that you please take a moment out of your day to remember and pray for our men and women in uniform who are spending this Christmas away from their family and friends in the service of our nation, and especially for those who are in harm's way.

IHC

2 comments:

Sam said...

I will be leaving for basic training in one week . I wanted to take the time to thank you for telling your story . I lost both my Mom and Dad 2 yrs ago so I know how it is to be without a family during the holidays, but my bright side is that I am looking forward to being part of a bigger family ... When I get done with basic I will have to go back and read what I have missed .. Have a Happy New Year and Thank You...

IHC said...

You're right, Sam, you are joining a bigger family, a much bigger one. Which service are you joining?

I appreciate your taking the time to read my blog; it's nice to know that someone is actually reading it, and if my writing has helped prepare you for your military service, all the better.

Good luck, and thanks for the kind words!