Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Second Amendment is a little safer today

I suppose by now that everyone has heard of the death of Teddy Kennedy; if you haven’t, then you must have been living in a cave for the past 24 hours because that’s all you’ve been able to see or hear on the TV. All I can say is, the Second Amendment is a little safer today because one of its most powerful and prolific enemies is no more.

That’s right, I’m not a fan of Teddy Kennedy. I won’t say I hate the man, but I’m definitely not a fan. I’m not going to be a fan of anyone who intends to impose his own ideals and ideas on how I should live my life on me, and I’m damned sure not going to be a fan of someone who’s idea of keeping me “safe” is to deprive me of one of my Constitutional rights – which just also happens to be the second most important right there is. (That’s why they’re numbered the way they are, ya know…a wise bunch, our Founding Fathers.) Somehow, I’ve just never been able to get next to the insane concept that giving up the means to defend myself against the bad guys is going to make me “safer.”

Besides, in my humble opinion, Ted Kennedy’s political career and his life as a free man should have died at Chappaquiddick with Mary Jo Kopekne. Good ol’ Teddy is proof that the rich and politically connected can literally get away with murder – or in Ted’s case, manslaughter. I mean, c’mon…he was drunk when he was driving, he drove his car off a bridge, saved himself while making no effort to save his passenger, called his family instead of the police, went home, slept it off, then got up, showered, shaved, and THEN called the police.

And all he was found guilty of was leaving the scene of an accident.

If you or I had done that, we’d have ended up UNDER the jail. Tell me I’m wrong, I dare ya.

Teddy Kennedy had two lifelong ambitions, and he was a failure at both. One of them was health care, and for him to be a failure at that was truly a shame. Although I disagree with his ideas on how that ambition could be realized, I agree that health care should be a top priority in America. His other ambition, however, was the repeal of the Second Amendment and the total outlawing of private firearms ownership.

And that’s where we part company.

As I said before, I fail to see how any sane, intelligent person could possibly think that giving up your right and abilities to defend yourself from harm will make you safer. This is nothing but absolute lunacy. An unarmed, defenseless person can be best described using one word: PREY.

Teddy Kennedy sought to make the country “safer” by taking away everyone’s ability to defend themselves; in effect, he wanted to make everyone prey for the thugs, robbers, muggers, rapists, and thieves in our nation. To this day I fail to see how a Harvard-educated man can come to such a stupid, inane conclusion.

To be fair, I’m sure that there’s a lot of good that Teddy was able to accomplish in his 50+ years in the Senate, but I sure am glad that he wasn’t able to accomplish his goals concerning my right to keep and bear arms.

As a very wise man once said a very long time ago, “An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.”

And I ain’t nobody’s “subject.” Not now, not ever.

IHC

No comments: