Sunday, April 12, 2009

Some random Sunday morning thoughts

Yep, it's been a while since I posted - ten days, actually. My ethernet port on my computer went tits up in the evening of the first, and it's taken Dell that long to get the part in and then schedule the technician to come do the repairs. More on the lard-ass technician later...but in the mean time, I've got about 45 minutes before I have to get ready to go to work (Yes, I'm working on Easter Sunday...such is life in the retail world) so I thought I'd throw some random thoughts out there.

So let's start with the obvious, and I'll try not to go into a full-blown rant over this: Why in the HELL hasn't the US Navy blown the living CRAP out of those Somali pirates??? You mean to tell me that out of all of the special forces the US military has, NONE of them are trained and prepared to do an at-sea hostage rescue mission? I mean, c'mon - these guys are stuck on a lifeboat that is OUT OF GAS, DRIFTING with no control, with NO FOOD, NO WATER, NO TOILET FACILITIES, and the Obama administration ISN'T capitalizing on this??? I mean, REALLY.....WTF??? (You had to know I was gonna throw The Great Pretender under the bus on this one....)

You wanna negotiate? Here's the deal: let the American captain go, and you'll live. Keep him and we'll blow your friggin' heads off. So, deal or no deal? Simple as that.

Up next, a little history lesson for you...today is April 12, 2009, and exactly 148 years ago today in Charleston, South Carolina events were set in motion that would eventually end up in the death of the American system of federal government as envisioned by our Founding Fathers, and the nightmare of James Madison and Jefferson Davis would come true. On this day in 1861 Confederate forces under the command of General P.G.T. Beauregard opened fire on the Union forces garrisoned in Fort Sumter, South Carolina, triggering the War Between The States. The next day President Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteers to "put down the rebellion" in the Southern states, bringing to life Jefferson and Madison's nightmare that one day a sitting President would use Federal troops to force the will of the government on an unwilling population. And four years after that, when Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9, 1865, the system of government in which individual states had more authority over their territory than the Federal government, which was the system envisioned by Madison and Jefferson, died. RIP, State's Rights; hello, Big Brother. (I would have posted something on April 9 as well, but as I said, my computer was down....)

If you want proof as to just how desperate the American auto makers are to sell cars, here it is: this past week my wife traded in her 2006 Ford Mustang for a 2009 Mustang because the '06 kept on breaking down and Ford couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. (When I say 'kept on breaking down,' I mean FIVE TIMES in a MONTH AND A HALF.) By the time the deal was done, her monthly payments went up a whopping $8.00 and we ended up financing - hold on to your hats - two grand LESS than the car's sticker price! And that includes all of the financing charges and everything! The salesman told us that the dealership actually lost $70.00 on the deal! So in the end everything worked out great - we got rid of the lemon, got a 45th Anniversary Edition Mustang, financed less than the car was stickered at, didn't suffer under higher payments, and now don't have to worry about the car breaking down once a week! Hey, it works for me!

Lastly - me and my "brutha from anutha mutha," Bulldog Chief, are headed to Myrtle Beach Bike Week next month, and we're gonna have a blast! I'm just hoping now that the weathr holds out for us and it doesn't do what it always does for Daytona Bike Week, that being rain.

And that's the story. Coffee time now, then shower and off to work. Y'all have a Happy Easter!

IHC

No comments: