Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Who I'm Not Voting For and Why

Well, the political circus that takes place in our nation every four years is starting to crank up, with all of the Republican candidates busily smearing the reputations, records, and personalities of the others running against them. Even those that pledged NOT to run a "negative" campaign have reneged on that promise, so with the primaries in South Carolina but two days away things here in the Palmetto State are getting intense to say the least.

If you've been following my blog you know my disappointment with Herman Cain. He was the one candidate that I thought would absolutely make a good President, and would absolutely knock The Great Pretender right out of the Oval Office on his skinny ass. Alas, good ol' Herman has a thing for the ladies and was foolish enough to think that he could run for office and not have his sins come back to visit him, and thanks to the rabid dog of the Demoncratic party, Attorney Gloria Allred, he's now out of the running for good ala John Edwards. Too bad, he'd have made a good President.

So I spent some time about a month ago doing some research on who I was going to vote for and who I wouldn't vote for if my life depended on it, and I've come to a decision. But first, let's go over who I won't vote for and why not. We'll start with the obvious one first.

Newt Gingrich In short, Gingrich is the stereotypical politician in that he's two-faced, a liar, has the morals and ethics of "Slick Willy" Clinton, and is a bigot. He is also the only person ever to be sanctioned and fined by Congress for ethics violations while serving as Speaker of the House, and in my book that puts him even lower than Nancy Pelosi. And speaking of Nancy Pelosi, he actually sided with her while Speaker on a bill that the rest of the Republican party was opposed to, so I guess you can call him a traitor as well. In any event, if he wins the Republican nomination I'll vote for Bucky the Dancing Mule before I'll vote for him. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Mitt Romney Anyone who serves on the board of directors of a company whose business is to close down other businesses and put people out of work and then claims in his campaign that he's "pro-jobs" is either demented or a moron. He also is hesitant to release his tax reports from years past, and that makes me and the rest of the civilized nation think he's hiding something. Maybe he doesn't want us to know just how rich he really is, but to be honest I really don't care about that. It's his integrity and honesty that concerns me, and right now I just don't see it. If he wins the Republican nomination I'll vote for him, but only because he's just one step above Bucky.

Rick Perry Two BIG things against him: first and foremost, in one of the early debates last year he said that while serving as Governor of Texas he was in favor of and would sign a bill that would give financial assitance to illegal aliens over American citizens. Sorry, Rick, but that right there assures you that I'd cut my own arm off before I'd vote for you, you friggin' traitor. The other thing is that I'm a loyal listener of Pandora Internet Radio at work, and Perry has been running political ads on that station once an hour for the past week in which he claims it's his faith in God that makes him the best candidate. And that's all he says - not a word about any other redeeming quality that he has which would cause us to vote for him. Sorry, Rick, but that's an immediate turn-off for me - after all, what about the Americans who don't believe in God? Nah, you really should leave religion out of it, because folks lik me will shun you like bad news.

Rick Santorum Veteran or not, this guy's a loser with a capital "L." He voted for the "bridge to nowhere" among other things, and has the personality of a limp noodle. He lost his Senate seat several years ago by a margin of 17% because the voters in Pennsylvania - his home state - thought he was "too conservative" for them, largely in part because of his stands on abortion rights and homosexuals. He's pro-life and anti-homosexuals, and while I really don't care it's his reasons for these stands that gets me - yep, you guessed it, he's ultra-religious and is letting his faith dictate his policies. While that's good to a point - after all, our nation was founded on solid Christian principles - he's gone waaaaaay past that point, and won't get my vote. Ever. Are you listening, Bucky?

Which brings us to who I intend to vote for, which is, of course...

Ron Paul This man has been screaming about the Federal government spending too much for the past 15 years, and he predicted both the Wall Street crash and the crash of the economy years ago. I've looked him over with a fine-toothed comb, and he only has one thing on his agenda that I disagree with, that being his stand on abortion rights. But he bases his stand on his experiences as doctor, not from his religious beliefs, which is all the difference to me. In short, I like just about everything he has to say about what he thinks needs to b done to fix America, and I plan on voting for him. Rather than sing his praises here, I'll just suggest that you do some research on your own and decide for yourself.

Unfortunately, I really don't think Paul has much of a chance of winning the primary for the simple reason that he scares the hell out of people by being right about serious things all the time, and for that reason the mainstream media won't give him the coverage that they're giving Newt and Mitt. Without media coverage you're pretty much dead in the water, and while his popularity is on the rise I just don't think he's going to be able to take the nomination.

And that means I'm gonna have to vote for Mitt, because I'm pretty sure he's the one that's gonna get the nomination. I just hope he has the popularity to beat NObama - but I'n not so sure about that.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

IHC

2 comments:

Mississippi Cajun said...

Heard a comment today on one of the talking head shows that Ron Paul knows he doesn't have a Chinaman's chance of getting the nomination, but he is hanging in there to the bitter end to get his message out in hopes that he will lay a good foundation for his son to run in future wars. Sort of makes sense to me.

IHC said...

Yeah, me too. I kinda don't think Ron Paul has a ghost of a chance, but I still think he's the best candidate going.