Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The End of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"...Maybe

I would imagine that there are plenty of folks in the US military who are not too happy right about now, and if I were on active duty I can’t say as I wouldn’t be one of them. For those of you who haven’t been keeping up on current events, the Clinton-era “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy concerning homosexuals in the military ended today when a Federal judge denied the appeal to her previous ruling that the ban was unconstitutional. So for the first time in this country’s history, homosexuals can openly serve in the US Armed Forces. Naturally, the homosexual community is all happy and celebrating this “victory,” but I wonder if they realize just what they’ve done and what Pandora’s box they’ve opened.

I think not.

For starters, let me set something straight: I absolutely refuse to use the word “gay.” It’s “homosexual,” not “gay,” and if you are homosexual and you have a problem with that word, then that’s YOUR problem and not mine. If you look it up in the medical books the term isn’t “gay,” it’s “homosexual.” When you’re happy, you’re “gay;” when you’re a homosexual, you’re a homosexual. Period.

Moving on…

Let me set the record straight right now by saying that I don’t care whether a person is homosexual or not. I personally happen to think it’s wrong on every level and the thought of two men engaging in anal sex – because that’s what sex between male homosexuals means – disgusts me beyond words, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to look down my nose at you or treat you any differently than the next person just because your sexuality is different than mine. And if you think I’m talking out of my ass and can’t do this, then I have a friend named Michael I’d like for you to meet sometime.

And as long as you don’t shove your homosexuality in my face and tell me I have to accept it, then we’ll get along just fine – but do either of those and we’re gonna have one hell of a big problem. I don’t HAVE to accept ANY-fuckin’-thing, and don’t you think for one minute that I do. So as long as you can live with that, then we got no problems.

I don’t believe in denying anyone anything based on their religion, sex, race, national origin, or anything else. That’s called “discrimination,” and not only is it wrong, it’s illegal. And that applies to homosexuals being able to serve their country, too. I mean, really, why not? If someone who is homosexual wants to join the military to serve their country and give something back to the country that gives them so much, then why the hell not? As long as that person performs their duties in the manner which is required of them – and that includes conducting themselves in a manner that doesn’t discredit themselves or their service – then I’m OK with that. Until it interferes with your unit’s mission, your abilities to perform that mission, or discredits the service of which you are a part, what you do with your off-duty time is your affair, not mine.

And there’s the rub. There are plenty of people out there who will adamantly state that you cannot be a homosexual without bringing discredit on your service, and once upon a time I was one of them. But not anymore...I guess I’ve mellowed with age, although I prefer to think of it as enlightening myself and becoming more understanding. But there are still plenty of folks out there who feel that way, and I can’t say as I completely disagree with them.

The thing I’m most concerned about is how the current members of the active forces are going to take it. Fact is, there are a hell of a lot of people out there who refuse to tolerate homosexuality in any way, shape, or form, and the thought that now they can join “their” service isn’t gonna sit well with them at all. Then you’ve got the folks who are just flat-out disgusted by homosexuals and can’t stand being anywhere near them, no matter what. And then, to top it all off, you’ve got the folks who really, really, REALLY just absolutely HATE homosexuals, and who won’t hesitate to kick the living shit outta them at the first opportunity.

What’s gonna have to happen is two-fold: first, the people in the service who are opposed to openly homosexual people being allowed in the service are just gonna have to get used to the idea that it’s happening, and there isn’t going to be much they’re gonna be able to do about it. I have a feeling it’s not gonna be as bad as they think it will be, but only time will tell. Second – and maybe most important – the homosexuals who join the military are going to have to realize just what kind of atmosphere they’re coming into, and they need to enter it quietly, with restraint, dignity, and respect for those already there. If they come in flaunting their “victory” and shoving it in the faces of those already in the service, then they’re in for one hell of a rough ride. And mark my words, if they do that, one or more of them is gonna die at the hands of his or her comrades in arms. Count on it.

So both sides have a huge responsibility going forward, and it’s gonna be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

And the “Pandora’s Box” I mentioned earlier? Well, it’s like this: now that homosexuals have won the right to serve in the military, they’ve given up a part of the “clout” they had in making their voices heard. For years they’ve been demonstrating and trying to convince people that they’re just like “ordinary” folks, just like everyone else except for the small fact that they’re homosexual, and that they deserve to be treated just like everyone else.

OK, so now they are. They’re just like everyone else in this aspect, which makes them NO DIFFERENT THAN ANYONE ELSE. Which means from this point forward, all “special considerations” and cries of, “You’re just doing that because I’m a homosexual!” come to a screeching halt. If you’re homosexual, you’re no different than anyone else now.

In short, you’re nothing special. And remember, you asked for it.

So get used to it.

IHC


UPDATE: Since writing this, the Federal Appeals Court for that area has ordered a freeze on the judge's order, giving the lawyers who brought the suit to begin with until Monday to present their arguments as to why the ban should be lifted. We'll see what happens...stay tuned, should be interesting.

3 comments:

Sam said...

IHC you are so right ...I walked in the coffee shop this morning and this was the topic of the day.. The old school boys vs. The new school boys( I should just say me ) 2 weeks ago I signed into the Air Force, the old vets wanted to know what the new kid thought about it.. I simply said that I could careless who they are having sex with men or women as long as when they have the uniform on, that they show respect for what it stands for .. the man sitting behind me truns around and blows up at me telling me that I am a disgrace to my parents ( by the way they died a year ago ) after about 15 mins of this guy yelling about why this country has gone to hell I got up and looked down at this man and simply said you are the reason why they need Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy
So I have to agree with you most of the old school boys don't really care (sorry but I think it is all about age) BUT the middle school boys yea someone is going to die ... Pandora's box

IHC said...

Your experience is the perfect example of what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that only time will prove who's right and who's wrong...but you can't help but remember that the "old timers" said the same thing when Truman desegregated the Armed Forces in 1947, and the "old timers" said the same thing when the Equal Rights Amendment was passed in the '60s. And none of the bad things the "old timers" said came about, did they?

I'm "old school" in that I'm retired Air Force, but aside from that I like to consider myself a realist. As I said, personally I find homosexuality to be wrong on every level there is, but that doesn't exclude the fact that a person's sexual preference has zero bearing on their right to serve their country and, in most cases, it will also have zero bearing on their ability to serve once they're in the service.

Time will tell. But I have a feeling I know how this one's gonna turn out.

Thanks for reading and making a comment! Always nice to hear from a new "fan!"

Mississippi Cajun said...

I heard a comment on the radio a week or so ago when this topic was being discussed. One of the callers made a point that really puts this thing into perspective. He stated that if we ban homosexuals from entering the military, then the rest of us who serve will be the ones protecting the ones who are not allowed to wear the uniform(s) of the armed service.
The years that I did wear the suit, I am sure I served rght next to several homosexuals. Never was an issue then, and it shouldn't be now.