Monday, March 8, 2010

Of Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs

A couple of days ago while I was getting my hair cut, I got into a conversation with the girl doing the cutting about guns, shooting, and concealed carry. That conversation led to the inevitable question being asked, when she learned I not only had a CCW permit but was armed at the time, of why I felt the need to be armed. Having answered this question many, many times before, I am more than ready when it comes up - which it inevitably will in ANY conversation about gun control. I gave her the answer which has pretty much been my stock answer ever since I read something on the web last year about sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. I have the original writing somewhere on my computer, but it's pretty long, so rather than hunt it down and repost it here, I'll just repeat my interpretation of that dialogue and hope it will suffice.

So here it is.

There are three kinds of people in the world - sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident. They have little or no capacity for intentional violence. They know that to intentionally inflict pain and suffering upon another sheep is both morally and legally wrong, and they spend their entire lives intentionally not doing it, and they live in the hope - nay, the expectation - that they will be granted the same courtesy and respect. The sheep are the embodiment of all of the good qualities of mankind.

Then there are the wolves, and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy. They have no moral sense of right or wrong, and if they do, they don't care. They have a very large capacity for intentional violence. They intentionally inflict pain and suffering on every sheep they encounter, and very often they do so with great enjoyment, relishing the suffering of the poor sheep. They actively seek out the weaker sheep for their targets, judging the weakest by their posture, their manner of speech, or simply by the clothing they wear. The wolves are the embodiment of all of the evil in the soul of mankind.

Then there are the sheepdogs. The sheepdogs live to protect the flock and confront the wolves, and will do so without hesitation or question, and will use any and all means to protect the flock and defeat the wolves. This protection will be provided at any and all costs, even at the cost of the sheepdog's life. The sheepdog understands that there is evil in the world, and to ignore that evil is to become a sheep - a victim.

I'm a sheepdog. I understand that there is evil in the world, and that this evil preys on the unprotected, the unprepared - and the unarmed.

Especially the unarmed.

This is basically the answer I always give when asked why I carry a weapon. But there's more to the writing about sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs, and it explains a very good point - one which I must share with you now, because I feel it's the reason behind why so many people in our society are working to make private weapon ownership illegal.

It goes something like this...

The sheepdog is a reminder, a reminder that there is evil in the world. The sheep of the world would rather go through their day and not see a sheepdog, for to see the sheepdog is to be reminded of the wolves. Sure, everyone knows that it's there, but they'd rather not be reminded of it. The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

But when the wolf strikes, the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one, lonely sheepdog.

Rather than face the fact that there are wolves in the world and prepare to deal with that threat, the sheep would rather ignore the wolves and remove any reminder of the wolves from their view. Which means eliminating the sheepdog, or in this case, the tool which the sheepdog uses. They would much rather the sheepdog turn in his fangs, paint himself white and go "Baaa" like the rest of the sheep.

Until the wolf shows up, that is. And trust me, the wolf will show up.

As I said, I'm a sheepdog. I have seen firsthand the evil in the world, and I know - just as the sheep do but will refuse to admit - that the wolf will be back. And when he comes back, I'll be ready for him. Me, and the thousands of other sheepdogs in the world.

So, what about you, dear reader? Which are you - a sheep, or a sheepdog?

IHC

2 comments:

Mississippi Cajun said...

W.E.B.Griffin, a notable modern author from South Alabama, in oe of his recent offerings had a quote, "You never need a gun until you really really need a gun." I can't think of a better way to explain why I carry than that.
This weekend, I was at a friend's house and had the usual rider's vest, covered with motorcycle patches and such, and whcihc does a very nice job of covering the .45 I usually tote. Of course, the question came up about (a) was there a gun? [You betcha!] (b) Why was I carrying? [see Mr. Griffin's quote above], and the real kicker,(c) was I crazy enough to use it? My response to that was that to answer the question as it ws asked, Hell no, I was not crazy enough to use it. I am, however, intelligent and informed enough, in control of my faculties enough, more than adequately trained and seasoned in the use of firearms, and wise enough to know how to disarm a situation before a gun is needed except in that odd case when the "wolf" was determined to continue forth with the obvious intent to do me harm in which case I know a very good taxidermist.
I find it odd that someone would ask if I am "crazy" enough to defend myself or my loved ones. I think you have to be crazy not to want to do so and be prepared at all times to address the rare occasion that it might become a necessity.

IHC said...

Guess that means you're a sheepdog, huh? And the lamebrain who asked you that question is obviously a sheep.

And I'm well aware of Mr. W.E.B. Griffin...his "Brotherhood of War" series was the best series of books I ever read! I started reading "The Lieutenants" on a Monday, and FINISHED THE SERIES the following Monday! (This was when "The Berets" was the last of the series...yes, I read "The Aviators" and "The New Breed" when they came out!)